The Ballerina taco bowl.
Because who doesn’t love Mexican food, right?
Taco bowls (when done the right way) don't just have ample nutrients, protein, good fat and carbs, but they're easy to prepare and taste amazing. Pre preparing most of the ingredients before your week starts means making a Ballerina taco bowl can take only minutes!
TIPS: - Your main source of protein can be ground beef or ground turkey. If you want to keep it super lean, then use turkey meat. Or for a non meat option opt for black beans.
- Brown rice gives you your good carbs and extra dietary fiber. Dietary fibre will give you sustained energy = no quick energy level drops.
- Tomatoes are an amazing source of vitamin C and potassium.
- Avocado, is an optional ingredient, but is full of all the good fats you need in your diet for great skin, hair and lowering your cholesterol levels. Just ensure you prepare the avocado on the day.
1 cup brown rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 iceberg lettuce
1. In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
3. Add ground beef and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; stir in taco seasoning.
4. Drain excess fat.
5. Divide rice into meal prep containers (if meal prepping) or into bowls. Top with ground beef mixture, black beans, corn and tomatoes.
6. Add lettuce and avocado on the day of consumption.
Recipe: Louisa Paterson